Crises can happen at any moment. Thus it’s good to be ready beforehand for an emergency. Long-term food storage is essential, not just for military personnel or doomsday preppers. In a natural disaster or national crisis, everyone should be prepared to care for themselves and their families and provide adequate nutrition for survival.
As we prepare to start our off-grid farm, we’ve been studying and testing freeze-dried and dehydrated food sources and other emergency food supplies. We’ll share our findings with you in this article, their pros and cons, and whether they are worth your money.
My Patriot Supply is committed to helping Americans be prepared in the case of a disaster. They appear to have considered almost everything, including the coffee! Ammo cans of food are sold in the event of a short-term emergency. Unlike many long-term canned food companies, they guarantee 2,000 calories per meal. With their Ready Hour logo on black and white packaging, they seem incredibly elegant.
OUR TOP PICK
You can buy water filters, First Aid Kits, and Heirloom Seeds on their website and long-term canned food.
- Military members receive discounts. When you apply for a veteran discount, you will get a verification code for a 10% discount on your purchase since My Patriot Supply is dedicated to supporting Americans.
- Two-day delivery is guaranteed. All survival kits from My Patriot Supply are guaranteed to arrive in two days.
- Sizes: Pouches, Cases, Kits, Buckets, Ammo Cans, and # 10 Cans are among the food storage sizes available, expanding your purchase possibilities.
- Coffee. As most businesses do, they didn’t overlook coffee in their survival food kit!
- Cases. Cases of meat, veggies, creamer, sugar, and other items can be purchased, including many resealable pouches inside a soft case, reducing waste.
- No refrigeration is required. After opening, the #10 can bulk size does not require refrigeration. If not opened, the cans have a 25-year shelf life. The item has a one-year shelf life after it has been opened.
Scrambled Eggs Case Pack has a long shelf life. Unopened, the product has a shelf life of up to ten years. After opening, the product has a shelf life of one year.
- The Fresh Meat and Protein Pack Kit are shelf-stable. The item has a shelf life of up to 30 years, provided it is not opened.
- The shelf life of the Vegetable Case Pack Kit is quite long. If not opened, the product can last up to 25 years. The item has a one-year shelf life after it has been opened.
- They adhere to their terms. Also, there isn’t any trial opportunity for people who want to try their products. That’s why you need to order something from their website and at least make a purchase of $25 on their 72-hour sample pack, which has 16 servings. You cannot buy a single pouch.
- There isn’t any sling or carry bags. There isn’t an emergency kit that you can carry on your back if you want to get somewhere fast. As an outcome, you’ll need one of their Pails or Ammo Cans in your vehicle or shopping cart in times of emergency.
- Preparation. Because the dishes aren’t prepared immediately in the Mylar pouches, meal preparation requires more cleanup. After adding the meal to the boiling water, you’ll simmer or boil it in your pot.
Phil Augason created Augason Farms in 1972, and this emergency food company now offers its products via Walmart, Associated Foods, WinCo, Sam’s Club, Costco, and other shops. Morning Moo’s Milk was their initial product, and it is now their best-selling instant milk. They invest a lot of effort into making emergency food supplies that can be stored for a long time.
After completing our price analysis, we found that Augason Farms has been the most cost-effective and Long-Term Canned Food Company.
OUR TOP PICK
- There is no cost for shipping. Free delivery is available on many six-month and one-year food supply kits.
- Meal Extenders are a type of food that extends the length of a meal. Pinto beans, fast-rolled oats, and four-gallon pails of long-grain white rice and brown rice are all supplied by this firm. You can add them to your meals to make a 90-day food supply out of your 30-day kit
- Accessibility. Augason Farms products are available in a variety of locations, making them easily accessible to the general public. To mention a few, Walmart, Associated Foods, WinCo, Sam’s Club, and Costco all carry them. Augason Farm items are also available on Amazon.
- They have square pails, which are Round pails that are easy to pile and use up less storage space than square pails.
- Bundles. #10 Can and Pail Bundles are available, making your buying experience much easier.
- You’ll need a stove to cook on. Augason Farms, unlike many other long-term food preservation techniques, needs you to add items to hot water, lower the heat, and cook for a few minutes ( 15-18 minutes), which adds to meal prep and cleanup time.
- A scarcity of meat. Many individuals complain that the diced beef or chicken meal selections don’t have enough of it, so that you might be disappointed with those prepared meals.
- There will be no samples. Augason Farms does not provide free samples. Therefore you will have to pay a small fee to give them a try. To taste their products, you may purchase their 72-hour 1 Person Emergency Food Pail for $30.
Mountain House was founded in Oregon in 1969 and may be found in a variety of stores, including your neighborhood Walmart. They began by making freeze-dried foods for the armed services, but now trekkers, hikers, preppers, and backpackers can enjoy them as well.
Mountain House’s popular Pouches are well-known among consumers. Pouches are offered in addition to Pro-Paks, #10 Cans, Hazard Mitigation Buckets, and Kits. A Pro-Pak differs from a Pouch because it is vacuum-sealed to keep it small even at high elevation.
OUR TOP PICK
- Preparation. Fill the Pouch or #10 Can with water and wait 8-10 minutes for Mountain House items to cook. Consequently, filling the Pouch or Can with water directly reduces waste and any further preparation or maintenance.
The Food Supply Calculator is an online tool that helps you figure out how much food you have’ On their website, you can use a Food Supply Calculator to figure out how much food you’ll need based on the number of people and days you’re planning for.
- Pouches that one can reseal. You won’t waste any food if you use resealable pouches.
- Longevity. Mountain House has a 30-year shelf life and a 30-year taste guarantee. Before freeze-drying, their dishes are fully prepared.
- A wide range of flavors and clean ingredients. They offer a variety of breakfast, entrees, dessert, side dishes, and meat options.
- There isn’t anything to measure with. You should bring your measuring cup or a bottle with markings because there is no line within the Sachets to specify how much water to use.
- People with dietary restrictions might face problems.
For over 15 years, Valley Food Storage company has been supplying high-quality survival food kits and has received nothing but positive feedback. They’re one of our favorites vendors because their cuisine is delicious and reasonably priced. They go to great lengths to find the greatest ingredients available, as seen by my head-to-head comparisons. Even their most raw freeze-dried fruits are superior to similar products from competitors. They’re the greatest of the best if you choose just one (with a good selection of various products too).
OUR TOP PICK
- Outstanding value for money
- A wide range of meal types to choose from
- Vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free options are plentiful with no artificial ingredients.
- All long-term emergency food kits include fruit, vegetables, and additional protein.
- A wide variety of bulk food items
- All food products have a 25-year shelf life, serving food for decades.
- There are no gluten-free or dairy-free buckets.
- There are no savory breakfast options.
- Cooking time is longer than for other meals
Nutrient Survival make some of the most delicious meals and gratifying emergency dinners one can ever have. These nutrient-dense meals linger with you all day long since they provide appropriate calories per day.
They’re one of very few survival food companies that sell emergency food kits that only requires the addition of water. The majority of varieties require 20-30 minutes of simmering time on the stove, which includes both cook time and dish preparation time. Instead, for these meals, pour hot water on the food in a plate or bowl. It tastes like a freshly prepared dish after 5–10 minutes.
We thoroughly enjoyed their dishes so much that we frequently order them on busy weeknights or rushed mornings when we don’t have time to prepare a meal. The process is so quick and easy that you need to add some boiling water, and in about 10 minutes, I’m eating a hot, tasty, and healthy lunch.
With so many options available, it’s critical to decide and select a survival food kit provider for emergency food supplies that suits your requirements. I hope you found this article helpful and instructive in showing some of the advantages and disadvantages of each firm.