Your furry best friend relies on you for everything, be it providing a stick to chase, offering treats for good behavior, or a cozy place to rest her head. For a dog that lives in earthquake country however, she is also counting on you to keep her safe and healthy after an earthquake. Learn what the top 5 things are that your dog needs to be able to thrive during and after the next earthquake.
Dogs are our best friends but you can’t have a heart-to-heart with your furry friend about earthquake preparation. You love that crazy mutt, so we want to help you get your dog ready for the next earthquake.
But where do you start? First, make a plan. You might already have an emergency plan for your family, but what about making an emergency plan for your pooch? Planning is the first step in preparing your pets.
Here’s What can you do to prepare your dog for an Earthquake
- Rescue Alert Sticker to draw attention of first-responders. If you are not home, who is going to get your dog out safely? First-responders, like firefighters and police may be the first people on the scene, so let them know your dog is inside.
- Find/Establish a Safe Haven for your dog. Do you have a contingency plan in place if you cannot take your dog with you to a shelter? Here are some great tips to help keep your furry friend safe:
- Make a list of out-of-area hotels that allow pets. The internet will have a lot of information on finding hotels that can take you and your dog as guests.
- Make arrangements with an out of area pet shelter or boarding facility that can take care of your dog till you and she can be reunited.
- Ask your dog-obsessed friend who lives in the next town over if he is willing to have your sweet pup as a guest till you find a new home.
- Microchip your dog, to ensure they can be found if you get separated from you.
- Make sure your dog’s tags have current information, and that your dog has up-to-date vaccines. Unvaccinated dogs will not be welcome in shelters that accept pets.
- Make a dog earthquake kit. We can help you with that with our guide here.
Making sure that you have the gear that is essential during an emergency is very important for you and your pet as well. Like how owning the best emergency flashlights will not only be helpful during dark but can also help you find your pet during a wide power outage at night.